The discussion on Thursday was very interesting because we got first-hand accounts of living as a gay man, woman and trans-gender individual. I shared with the class before that my best friend of forever had come out to me in 2009 and that I was not shocked or upset she was gay, rather I was upset that she kept a secret from me for two whole years. But now that we had that open talk and our speakers discussing either their struggle or triumph of coming out, I understand why she may not have told me the minute that she knew. How could she have known how I would have reacted? Let alone her believing at the time that I would not treat her any different. So this discussion gave me insight on a personal battle that I had til this day, by figuring out why she did not trust me whole-heartedly with who she really was. Now I know and I am happy that I do because she I love her just as much as I did and I accept who she is no matter what future endeavors she decides to pursue.
I also learned alot of new terms on Thursday. Some I had never even heard before. One term was when Zack introduced himself as pan-sexual. The reason this term took my interest the most is because you never, well at least I haven't, heard anyone identify with this term even though alot of people practice the lifestyle. It's always kind of been black and white for me before this. You either gay or not, gay man or gay woman, you either mess with one person of the same sex or you are bisexual. And this is all I knew. So for the most part I want to say thank you to all of them as well as our hilarious TA from giving us insight and information from a personal perspective.
![]() |
| Me and My Bff/Sister Kathryn from 9th Grade |

No comments:
Post a Comment