Thursday, February 16, 2012

African American Relationships/ Marriages

In order to repair african american female-male relationships I believe the first thing we need to do as women is LET OUR GUARD DOWN. When saying this I don't mean settle for less, nor forget your values, morals and whatever else you stand for, but allow a man to be a man. I believe that we as women are at times so afraid that a man does not know what he is doing, or won't do something right, and when we are not in control we "go off" ( which implies the "angry black woman" myth.) Therefore, I think step 1 is this. Secondly, I think we should begin praising chivalry in the school system. So many young men grow up believing that if you are disrespectful to a female , or if you treat her like you don't care then that's how you keep her and if she don't respond to that, then move on to the next one (much of this nonsense is from media outlets). No, I believe the same way we teach our babies to say "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" to their elders, we need to start teaching and praising our young men to respect women like they would respect their moms, somewhere between recent generations this aspect was lost somewhere. I think the last solution would be communication and like we talked about in class, encouraging therapy to keep the black family together. Talk to each other and listen, not at one another. Encouraging healthy relationships,  I believe these few solutions will begin to sort of change the dynamic of black relationships.
 ~ I also believe that there is still cause for concern on why there are more black women not marrying, because the shocking thing to me is that there are not as many men becoming successful as black women. I have been single since I have been in college and even though I haven't experienced as much as these other women in these articles, I can attest to it being hard to find an eligible, driven, determined, african american bachelor around my age.
  ~Stereotypes about african american men and women have put a strain on the black family. First off women not being able to find an equal financial partner is a major hindrance, also women being in unhealthy relationships where the men are unfaithful is saddening and happens all too often. My main concern is the children. How are these roles passed down to the children and how will the children deal with their own relationships as they grow up? Will these stereotypes play a major role in a continuous decline of marriages in future african american generations?
~ The four distinct ways that men defined manhood were as an interconnected state of being, a fluid development process , a redemptive process, and a proactive course. The two top themes were responsibility/ accountability and autonomy. It is not a surprise to me that these are the top two themes because I hear this often from a lot of men. Although, statistics show that women are becoming more educated and financially independent than men, men still has this innate ability to provide by whatever means necessary. With this trait instilled in them comes responsibility and autonomy. I believe this is in all men in certain ways,forms and fashions.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is very true that women need to let men be men. At the same time men need to be MEN and hold up to what they think is important and lead the black family. You are right that many men do not get taught how to be a proper man and treat women as well. I feel like I was lucky to have both parents growing up who could guide me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete